So, what have I learnt?
Firstly, I have learnt that the concept of a mid-core game is an attempt to create a third games market in-between two other markets, however the evidence that suggested mid-core games suggests that a market exists for a different type of roleplaying game - one not based on statistics and simple power fantasy.
Secondly, I (believe) I have proven that roleplaying games are not so much about playing a character, more that they are about allowing the player to live out a power fantasy or freedom fantasy. I am not trying to say that this is a negative thing, more that I am more interested in another type of role-playing; I enjoy the aspect of storytelling with friends and collectively creating a world and story.
Thirdly, I have hopefully proven that it can be fun and enjoyable to sit down with a group of friends and create a story! It just takes the right environment and rules, but more importantly it requires just enough of a starting point to get things in motion. Preposterous has proven this concept with it's mechanics, it has also proven that a set criteria for what can or cannot be said completely destroys the players' capability to create anything comfortably.
With all of those conclusions my outcome becomes clear:
Before my presentation in December I plan to finish Preposterous and have a single copy of the game created. This will not be a easy goal to achieve, tragically the company (https://www.thegamecrafter.com/) would require more than a month's advanced notice to create a single copy of the game so I will have to improvise a card set for the time being. In all I need the game finished by the end of December, which is a short deadline to fulfill, for the amount of cards that require work still, I believe it is a goal that is easily achievable however.
Secondly I will need to buffer out my blog, a lot of the finer details of my game's creation have not been posted as of yet. This list includes:
- A completed change log of the Preposterous rule set, including feedback and intentions for changes.
- A cut up short video of a play test of Preposterous.
- A card listing for Preposterous.
- Some more examples of the finished cards!
Besides all of this I plan to write a short essay explaining what I have learnt from Preposterous, just as a way to express the journey I have taken. I believe I will also need to translate this information into a short presentation (so a power-point), which should not be too difficult.
All in all the end is in sight and the work is mounting up, making me wish my time had been better spent, but I won't be discouraged! I am confidant that I can get this done with time to spare! In fact I have already secured a box for my first copy of preposterous!
| I just gotta get rid of that Spade and put a Brass plate on it! |
No comments:
Post a Comment