Thursday, 16 May 2013

Some work on rule systems

Notes on a dice system, card system and Archetype system
So far most of the design for these games comes down to the types of systems I will be using. The mechanics for a board game are crucial, for the most part they are the entire game. I have been trying to think of ways of utilizing dice without making the user resort to a multitude of mental maths to work out what is a pass or failure. For that reason I have created the system noted above. The system for suggestive image cards is useful however I think it might work better with single words and an image to go along with the concept. Finally the character archetype cards are a way of allowing the players to have  a personal goal to achieve without having to memorize all of the ways the game can be won, it also allows them a starting point from which they can create their characters.

I am happy with these systems so far, however they are only initial concepts, there is still a lot of testing to be done with them before a game playtest can be started.

    
Notes on a story system

Above is a series of notes for a possible story layout system, which would be decided each time the players sat down. Basically for a storytelling game I would want rules that would layout the overall plot for the players, meaning that they would not feel lost at any point during the game. The idea was that cards were randomly drawn, these cards gave players a starting point for every bit of the story. The players then had a set amount of slots which represented the story lengthy, by the end of the board they had to have reached a conclusion with the story comfortably. I am not sure about this system personally however it may be something I want to try out with the picto-cards.

No comments:

Post a Comment