Tuesday, 7 May 2013

A new idea

I have always felt that limitations exist within the world of computer games, whilst their ability to tell a linear story is absolutely limitless I feel that it is completely impossible to create a world without limits and a new story every single day for the player. That is why to me tabletop systems have always been so important, because in such games the only limits as to what can happen is completely up to the people enjoying the experience. However that feeling of freedom is only a pipe dream without some sort of boundaries, ironically these are all important to the process of creation.

I think what I want to do is make a tabletop system which perfectly merges storytelling and role playing. My hopes for this is to make a system that aids and encourages creation of believable characters and stories, I wish to eradicate the competitive aspect that games like this seem to work on and instead find a way to encourage people to make an evocative story together.

If I am able to create such a game there are quite a few avenues open to me to monopolise and produce it! Luckily it seems that tabletop systems are much easier to produce then computer games, some companies have even taken to aiding the process of self published tabletop games!

A first stop would be kick starter, having a kick starter project would allow me to gather the relevant funds to properly market my games and publish them.

Another possibility would be to personally raise all the funds required for marketing my game and get this American based company to market the game:
https://www.thegamecrafter.com/
This would allow me to get into production right away, which is very desirable

My final option and also an option I might undertake simply to have my idea rated by professionals would be Atlas games:
http://www.atlas-games.com/information_writer.php
At the moment Atlas games, publishers of some of the best card games and 'Once upon a time' are looking for new card based game ideas. Of which I imagine my game will fall into.

It seems astounding how many options are open to a games designer who wants to create their own tabletop board game. I do not think I will have any trouble getting a final product out once I have the appropriate funds to start things off, it might be worth thinking up other games at the same time since it is likely I will need to make more then just the one game.

Who knows where this new aim might take me?

No comments:

Post a Comment