Monday, 6 October 2014

Wasteland - the Analogue version

Cover of Wasteland

The finished Wasteland product - well, almost. Due to timing constraints I had to send the book off to print before I could finish the proof read! Luckily, I will be able to proof read the document before the hand-in. It is too bad that the actual book is nothing more than a layout and display piece, however I couldn't chance the book not arriving before the hand-in.

I am pleased with how the project has gone - the analogue version is an almost-perfect representation of the games system; a few of the more dynamic parts of the game have been removed but overall the system has benefited from the analogue system. I wasn't expecting the book itself to be as long as it turned out, but I was trying to create something that diverted from the usual methods creators of such games use to shorten their pieces. What else could I expect?

If there is anything I learnt from this project it is this: I really ramble when I type.

It's something that has become more and more apparent to me through this blog and writing that book; a lot of the writing I did could do with iteration and re-writing. But that's something I will have to work on in the future, it is unfortunately not possible before the end of this project.

Well, I am glad to see the project come to a conclusion with a physical representation of my product. It is a choose-your-own adventure game that takes an alternate approach to the illusion of choice in games: instead of there being a right and wrong choice for the protagonist there is a series of jumping off points to lead the player in their choices, two or three options and multiple outcomes for each.

No comments:

Post a Comment